Under 30 Minutes
Simple Vegetable Curry
This warmly spiced dish is quick and satisfying. Who knew vibrant flavor could be such a cinch? Try adding cubed extra-firm tofu or chicken breast along with the vegetables if you like.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (from a 13.5-ounce can)
- 1 sweet potato (about 3/4 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- fresh cilantro, for serving
In a medium saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high. Add mustard seeds and half the onion and cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, 3 minutes. Add rice and stir to combine. Add 1 1/2 cups water, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer; cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add remaining onion and cook, stirring often, until soft, 3 minutes. Add curry paste and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Add sweet potato and cauliflower and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Stir chickpeas into curry and increase heat to high. Simmer rapidly until liquid reduces slightly, 2 minutes. Serve curry over rice with cilantro.