Yellow Rice Pilaf
Serve this dish with our Grilled Chicken Tostadas.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: WILLIAM MEPPEM
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2003
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- Freshly ground pepper
Fill a medium saucepan with water, and bring to a boil; add salt and rice. Cook until rice is just tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain, and transfer rice to a serving bowl.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add carrot; cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in peas, turmeric, cumin, and paprika; cook until heated through. Transfer mixture to bowl with rice, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.