Easy Cranberry Compote
This easy compote is made from whole berries with thyme, red pepper flakes, and orange zest mixed in. It's tart and sweet and the flakes give it zip.
- Yield: Makes about 4 cups
Source: Blueprint, November/December 2007
- Juice and zest of 2 oranges (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 sprigs thyme, tied with twine
- 1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cranberries
- Salt, to taste
Combine orange juice, zest, sugar, thyme, and red pepper flakes in a wide, shallow saute pan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Add cranberries and simmer until soft but not broken, about 4 minutes. Stir to break down slightly, remove thyme, and season with salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.