This easy compote is made from whole berries with thyme, red pepper flakes, and orange zest mixed in. It's tart and sweet and the flakes give it zip.
- Yield: Makes about 4 cups
Source: Blueprint, November/December 2007
- Juice and zest of 2 oranges (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 sprigs thyme, tied with twine
- 1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cranberries
- Salt, to taste
Combine orange juice, zest, sugar, thyme, and red pepper flakes in a wide, shallow saute pan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Add cranberries and simmer until soft but not broken, about 4 minutes. Stir to break down slightly, remove thyme, and season with salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.