Todd English's Cranberry Compote
This delicious recipe for cranberry compote comes courtesy of chef Todd English. Serve it with Boned, Rolled, and Tied Turkey.
- Servings: 10
Source: Martha Stewart Living Television, Episode 8052
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 piece (1 inch) ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Place a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add oil. Add onion and ginger, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in cranberries, orange juice, raisins, brandy, sugar, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and red-wine vinegar. Cook until syrupy and reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
Add cranberry juice, cinnamon stick, nutmeg, cayenne, and salt. Simmer until thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick, and set aside to cool.