Fresh Cilantro Chutney
Try serving this bright, spicy chutney, courtesy of Madhur Jaffrey, with her Chicken with Roasted Coriander in Coconut-Curry Sauce.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: Martyna Szczesna
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2017
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 to 1 fresh hot green chile, such as bird's-eye, Indian long, or serrano, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
In a small skillet over medium-high heat, toast cumin seeds until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool completely, then grind in a spice grinder.
Place ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining ingredients in the jar of a blender; season with pepper. Blend, stopping to push mixture down sides several times with a rubber spatula, until a paste forms. Transfer paste to a small glass or other nonmetallic bowl. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 days.