If possible, use European hothouse cucumbers. They have fewer seeds and are usually not waxed.
- Servings: 4
Source: 10th Anniversary Cookbook; Martha Stewart Living Cookbook, 2000
- 2 cucumbers (about 1 pound each), peeled if waxy
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 2 ounces feta cheese, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, leaves, coarsely chopped
Slice cucumbers lengthwise, and remove seeds. Cut 1 cucumber half into 1/4-inch dice, and transfer to a small bowl. Add olive oil, vinegar, feta cheese, salt, and pepper, and toss well to combine. Add oregano, and toss again.
Use a vegetable peeler to remove one or two long strips of peel (if cucumbers are already peeled, remove a strip of flesh) from the underside of each cucumber half so they will sit without tipping. Divide cucumber-and-feta mixture among them.
Slice cucumbers on a slight diagonal into 1 1/2-inch sections, and serve immediately.