Seafood mixes with spice in this mouthwatering chili crab, the unofficial national dish of Singapore. Adapted for the home cook from Roland Restaurant.
- 3 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 (16-ounce) jar garlic chili sauce
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup tapioca or potato starch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 (2-pound) crab
- 1/2 teaspoon bean paste
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
In a large bowl, mix together tomato sauce, chili sauce, 1 cup sugar, and tapioca starch until well combined. Set aside.
Heat oil in large saucepan over high heat. Add garlic, chili paste, and crab, stirring to combine. Add 2 cups water; cover and cook until crab is cooked through and liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
Add 2 cups of the tomato sauce mixture (reserving remaining for another use), bean paste, and remaining teaspoon sugar; stir to combine. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, October 2010