Curried Turkey Casserole
This dish is a smart way to reinvent your leftover holiday turkey.
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 6 1/2 cups broccoli florets (from 1 bunch)
- 4 cups cooked turkey, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 cups day-old bread, diced medium
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium pot, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium. Add onion and garlic; cook until slightly softened but not browned, about 7 minutes. Whisk in flour and continue to whisk 1 minute. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly until mixture is smooth. Cook, stirring frequently, until sauce comes to a simmer. Stir in curry powder and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add broccoli and cook just until beginning to soften, 5 minutes. Stir in cooked turkey. Transfer mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish.
In a small bowl, toss bread with remaining 2 tablespoons butter, melted, until coated. Top turkey mixture with bread and bake until sauce is bubbling and bread is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
SourceEveryday Food, November 2010