Butternut Squash Baked Risotto
To save time, cut up the squash earlier in the week and refrigerate it in a zip-top bag.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, leaves
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 medium butternut squash (2 pounds), peeled and diced medium (4 cups)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bunch black (Tuscan) or curly kale, tough stems removed, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- Grated Parmesan, for serving
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium Dutch oven or heavy ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over medium-high. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until opaque, about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add wine and cook, stirring, until completely absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add squash and broth; bring mixture to a boil. Stir in kale. Cover, transfer to oven, and bake until rice is tender and most of liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. To serve, sprinkle with Parmesan.