Roast Beef with Cabbage, Squash, and Carrots
This one-pan meal feels like a Sunday supper but is easy enough to make on a Monday night. The beef and vegetables roast side by side in a shallow pan. Everything is done when the beef is medium-rare, about 40 minutes.
- 2 pounds boneless top loin roast, tied
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium butternut squash (2 pounds), peeled, halved, and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1 small head red cabbage (about 1 pound), cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Season beef with salt and pepper and place, fat side up, in center of a shallow roasting pan. In a large bowl, toss squash, carrots, cabbage, and thyme with oil; season with salt and pepper. Scatter vegetables around beef.
Roast until squash is tender when pierced with a knife and beef is medium-rare, 40 minutes. Tent beef loosely with foil and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
SourceEveryday Food, November 2010