Black Beans and Sausage
Make this quick weeknight meal in 40 minutes using canned black beans and smoked sausage, such as Polish kielbasa.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound kielbasa or other smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, diced small
- 2 shallots, diced small
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt, for serving
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add sausage and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add carrots and shallots to skillet and cook until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add black beans and broth and bring mixture to a boil. Add sausage, reduce heat to a rapid simmer, and cook until carrots are tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Serve with more parsley and a dollop of yogurt.