Goat Cheese and Vegetable Sandwich
This vegetarian sandwich is low in saturated fat and sodium and contains plenty of filling fiber, making it suitable for a heart-healthy diet.
- Yield: Makes 4
Source: Everyday Food, November 2010
- 8 thin slices whole-grain bread
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1 medium red beet, scrubbed, peeled, and shredded (1 cup)
- 2 large carrots, shredded (1 cup)
- 1 pear, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
Brush 1 side of each bread slice with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Spread 1/2 ounce goat cheese on other side of each slice. Layer beet, carrots, pear, and arugula on cheese side of 4 slices; drizzle with lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, and sandwich with remaining slices, cheese side down.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium. In two batches, cook sandwiches, pressing gently on tops with a spatula, until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.