Green Prawns with Chinese Noodles
Recipe courtesy of Philippe Chow of Philippe.
- Servings: 6
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, February 2006
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach, washed and soaking in a bowl of water
- 1 pound extra-large shrimp (about 15), deveined, and halved lengthwise
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and ribs removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 4-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 6-ounce can straw mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced scallions, white and light-green parts only
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 green chile pepper, such as jalapeno, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium chicken stock, canned
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice wine
- 1/4 pound cashews
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 pound fresh Chinese wheat noodles (a little thicker than spaghetti)
In a blender, puree spinach with water still clinging to leaves, adding more water from bowl, if necessary. Transfer puree to a large glass measuring cup; cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
Puree will separate overnight; pour off reserved liquid, and discard.
Combine in a medium bowl shrimp, spinach puree, egg white, cornstarch, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; mix until well incorporated.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Fit a large bowl with a strainer; set aside. Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup oil, and swirl to coat wok. When oil is very hot, add shrimp; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add peppers, carrots, water chestnuts, and mushrooms; stir-fry for 30 seconds. Drain in prepared strainer; set aside.
In a small bowl, stir to combine potato starch and 2 tablespoons water; set aside. Heat wok again over medium-high heat; add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and swirl to coat. Add garlic, scallions, ginger, and chile. Stir-fry until fragrant. Stir in potato starch mixture, chicken stock, rice wine, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add drained shrimp mixture and cashews; cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Drizzle with sesame oil.
Meanwhile, add salt and noodles to boiling water. Cook until tender, about 1 minute. Drain, and transfer to a platter. Top with shrimp mixture; serve immediately.