Maryland Crab Cakes
A true Maryland crab cake contains as few fillers as possible, within only the freshest crabmeat in the mix.
- 5 saltine crackers, crushed to fine crumbs
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for cartilage
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Homemade Mayonnaise Homemade Mayonnaise, or prepared
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Dash hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- Horseradish Tartar Sauce
In a large bowl, gently mix together cracker crumbs, crabmeat, egg, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. The mixture will be wet. Form about 1/4 of the crab mixture for each cake.
Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Gently slide the cakes off a spatula into the oil. Saute until the crab cakes are golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet, and drain on paper towels. Serve hot with tartar sauce.