Grilled Scallop and Orange Skewers
Prepare half the skewers with fresh bay leaves and half with thyme.
- Servings: 8
- 2 pounds large sea scallops, rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme
- 5 small oranges, cut into eighths
- 20 fresh bay leaves
Remove small muscle from sides of scallops, and discard. Combine juices, oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Crush a few sprigs of thyme, and add to marinade. Stir in scallops. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 3 hours.
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium hot, and place grid 4 inches above coals. Double-skewer scallops, alternating with orange sections. Tuck a sprig of thyme or skewer a bay leaf between each scallop and orange. Lay skewers in a pan, and pour remaining marinade over them.
Grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until scallops are opaque and lightly charred. Serve immediately.