Lucky Lemon Sugar Cookies
Set out lemony sugar cookies on a construction-paper grid and let buyers play a game: If the cookie they pick has a paper marker underneath, they get another one free.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- Colored sanding sugar, for rolling
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Cream butter, shortening, and granulated sugar on medium- high speed in the bowl of a mixer with the paddle until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in eggs and zest. Mix in flour mixture, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Refrigerate dough 15 minutes.
Roll teaspoonfuls of dough into balls; roll in colored sugar. Place 2 inches apart on lined sheets. Bake until edges are set but centers are soft, 7 to 8 minutes. Cool on sheets 2 minutes; transfer to wire racks.