Scallopine alla Marsala
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless pork, chicken, turkey, or veal, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine
- 1/4 cup orange juice or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Slices of orange or lemon, for garnish (optional)
- Sprigs of fresh thyme, for garnish (optional)
Place pork, chicken, turkey, or veal between two sheets of plastic wrap. Using a meat pounder or the side of a cleaver, pound out to a thickness of 1/8-inch.
Place flour in a shallow dish. Season with salt and pepper. Very lightly coat each scallop with flour, tapping off excess.
In a large skillet, heat butter with oil until very hot but not smoking. Quickly brown scallops, 30 seconds to 1 minute per side. Transfer to a serving platter and keep warm.
Add Marsala to pan along with orange juice for pork, lemon juice for chicken, turkey, or veal. Cook, scraping with a wooden spoon to loosen browned bits from bottom of pan. Add orange or lemon slices, and continue to cook until sauce thickens, about 4 minutes more. Garnish platter with orange or lemon slices. Pour sauce over meat and serve immediately, garnished with thyme.
SourceMartha Stewart Living Television, May 2000