Devil's Food Cake Batter
You will need three separate batches of this batter to create the Haunted-House Cake. Do not attempt to make a single large batch.
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 3 3/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising), sifted
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 15 ounces (3 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
Mix cocoa powder and boiling water in a bowl until smooth. Let cool.
Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl as needed.
Pour milk into cocoa mixture in a slow, steady stream, whisking until smooth. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with cocoa-milk mixture, starting and ending with flour mixture. Use immediately.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, October 2008