This great recipe for marinara sauce is courtesy of Carmella Mitrano.
- Yield: Makes about 4 cups
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, July Summer 2007
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 can (32 ounces) whole Italian plum tomatoes and their juices
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Heat oil in a large, nonreactive skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
Place tomatoes in a large bowl, reserving juices. Crush tomatoes using your hands. Add tomatoes and reserved juices to skillet. Stir in red pepper, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove sauce from heat, stir in cheese. Remove bay leaves before serving.