This great recipe for marinara sauce is courtesy of Carmella Mitrano.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 can (32 ounces) whole Italian plum tomatoes and their juices
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Heat oil in a large, nonreactive skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
Place tomatoes in a large bowl, reserving juices. Crush tomatoes using your hands. Add tomatoes and reserved juices to skillet. Stir in red pepper, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove sauce from heat, stir in cheese. Remove bay leaves before serving.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, July Summer 2007