Margot's Matzo Ball Soup
Martha Stewart Living commissary chef Margot Olshan shares her family's recipe for this holiday favorite.
- 1 chicken (4 pounds), cut into 8 pieces
- 4 carrots, two coarsely chopped, and two thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 8 to 10 cups water
- Margot's Matzo Balls Margot's Matzo Ball Soup
In a medium stockpot, combine chicken, chopped carrots, the celery, onion, bay leaf, peppercorns, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 2 hours.
Remove chicken pieces, and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove the meat, discarding skin and bones, and reserve for another use. Strain the stock, discarding the solids. Transfer to a covered container, and chill until completely cooled.
Remove the fat that has risen to the top of the stock; set aside for matzo balls.
Heat chicken stock in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sliced carrots, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Add cooked matzo balls to bowls, and ladle stock over them. Serve immediately.