Pineapple in Brown Sugar with Ice Cream
Choose a sweet-smelling pineapple that yields to gentle pressure but doesn't have soft spots.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 1993
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
Melt butter in a medium saute pan over low heat. Add sugar and stir until melted. Add pineapple, rum, if desired, and vanilla, and turn heat up to medium high.
Cook, stirring, until liquid is reduced and pineapple is glazed, about 15 minutes. Be careful not to burn.
Serve in bowls with a scoop of ice cream.