Eggplant Salad with Israeli Couscous and Basil
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, September 2009
- 3/4 cup Israeli couscous
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian or graffiti eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 shallots, trimmed and quartered
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup lightly packed fresh basil, torn
In a small saucepan, combine couscous, 1 cup water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, stir once, and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until couscous is tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over medium-high. Add eggplant and shallots and stir to coat; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring frequently, until shallots are caramelized and eggplant is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
In a serving bowl, combine eggplant mixture and couscous. Stir in vinegar and basil and season salad with salt and pepper.