Spaetzle with Butter and Parsley
Serve this side dish with our Silky Braised Chicken with Wild Mushrooms and Pearl Onions.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Christopher Baker
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2000
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more for water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 9 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
Whisk together flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk milk, eggs, and olive oil to combine. Whisk milk mixture into flour mixture until smooth.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt well. Fill a potato ricer fitted with a 1/4-inch-hole attachment with batter, and push batter through the holes into the boiling water, or use a colander, pushing batter through holes with a rubber spatula. Cook spaetzle briefly until it floats to the top of water. Drain in a colander. Toss with butter and parsley.