Hot Cheddar Grits
Grits have been a staple of the Southern kitchen for generations. They cook quickly and make a satisfying breakfast cereal.
- Yield: Makes 4 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1999
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup grits, stoneground, if possible
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper or Tabasco for garnish (optional)
Bring 4 cups water and the salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally until creamy, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in butter, cheese, and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with extra butter, cheese, and cayenne pepper if desired.