Hot Cheddar Grits
Grits have been a staple of the Southern kitchen for generations. They cook quickly and make a satisfying breakfast cereal.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup grits, stone-ground, if possible
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or Tabasco Sauce, for garnish (optional)
Bring 4 cups water and the salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally until creamy, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in butter, cheese, and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with extra butter, cheese, and cayenne pepper if desired.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, November 1999