Spicy Tomato Soup
Cilantro stems are the secret to this fresh-tasting soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion (about 8 ounces), chopped into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro stems, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup sour cream
Heat olive oil in a deep saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add salt, pepper, cilantro stems, and jalapeno.
Strain tomatoes and add juice to saucepan. Seed tomatoes, chop coarsely, and add to saucepan. Add 2 cups water and stir to combine. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Add lime juice and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Divide among 4 soup bowls and serve with a dollop of sour cream.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, April 1995