Yellow Butter Cupcakes
- 3 cups cake flour, (not self-rising), sifted
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 9 ounces (2 sticks plus 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs plus 3 large yolks, room temperature
- 2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
Reduce speed to low. Mix remaining wet ingredients in a bowl. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with wet ingredients and ending with dry. Scrape sides of bowl. Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each full.
Bake cupcakes until testers inserted into centers come out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in tins on wire racks.