Rao's Marinara Sauce
This great recipe is from "Rao's Cookbook," by Frank Pellegrino.
- Four 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes with basil, preferably from San Marzano
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons minced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 leaves fresh basil, torn (optional)
- Pinch of dried oregano
Remove tomatoes from can and place in a large bowl, reserving juices. Crush tomatoes using your hands; remove and discard the hard core from stem end, and any skin and tough membrane; set aside.
Place oil in a large, nonreactive saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, and cook until soft and just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook until softened, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and reserved juices; season with salt. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 hour.
Stir in basil, if using, oregano, and season with pepper; continue cooking 1 minute more. Remove from heat and serve.