Marinated Black Beans
This recipe for marinated black beans is courtesy of Frederic Demers from Cafe Martinique and is used to make his delicious Grouper with Black Beans.
- Yield: Makes 4 cups
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, Episode 3177
- 4 cups dried black beans
- 1 carrot, peeled, plus 1/2 cup finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, plus 1/2 cup finely chopped
- 1 onion
- 5 sticks cinnamon, crushed
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole crushed allspice
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 8 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons very finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 cup sake
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups rice-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup black truffle juice
Place beans in a large bowl with enough water to cover; let soak overnight. Drain beans and rinse; transfer to a large pot. Add enough water so that the ratio if water to beans is 2 to 1. Add carrot, celery, and onion to pot. Place cinnamon, cloves, and allspice in a piece of cheesecloth and tie with a piece of kitchen twine to enclose; add to pot. Cook beans over medium-high heat until tender, but not mushy.
Add 1/2 cup salt, thyme, and rosemary to pot and let stand until completely cool; drain. Transfer beans to a large bowl, discarding vegetables and spice packet; set aside.
Coat the bottom of a medium skillet with grapeseed oil. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger and cook until lightly golden. Add chopped carrots, celery, and shallot; season with 2 teaspoons salt. Cook until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and let cool. Add to beans.
Heat sake in a small skillet over medium heat until reduce by half; transfer to a medium bowl. Whisk in soy sauce, rice-wine vinegar, and truffle juice; season with salt. Pour over bean mixture; stir to combine.