Steamed Moroccan Chicken and Vegetables
Cooking en papillote (or in parchment paper) works well for both fish and chicken.
- Servings: 2
Source: Martha Stewart Living, May 1995
- 1 boneless skinless, whole chicken breast (about 8 ounces), cut in 1-inch cubes
- 4 pearl onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 celery stalk, washed, strings removed, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 small plum tomatoes (about 4 ounces), roughly chopped
- 1 small zucchini (about 4 ounces), cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped mint
- 1/3 cup Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, skimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup dry couscous
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine chicken, onions, celery, tomatoes, zucchini, raisins, parsley, and mint, and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together stock, ginger, garlic, curry powder, chutney, 3/4 teaspoon salt, red pepper, and cornstarch. Pour over chicken-vegetable mixture, and toss to combine.
Meanwhile, bring 1/2 cup water and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in couscous, and remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover again, and set aside until ready to serve.
Fold two 24-inch lengths of aluminum foil in half crosswise, and unfold. Place half the chicken-vegetable mixture on one of the pieces of foil, 2 to 3 inches from the fold. Refold along the crease, enclosing mixture, and make a double 1/2-inch fold along the 3 open sides. Repeat process to make the second packet. Place both packets on a baking sheet, and bake for 18 minutes. Divide couscous between two bowls. Open packets, arrange contents over couscous, and serve immediately.