Wild Rice with Dried Fruit and Nuts
This wild rice side dish goes well with roasted chicken, turkey, or braised pork shoulder.
- 4 scallions
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/4 cup wild rice or wild rice blend (any seasoning packet discarded)
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
Thinly slice scallions, separating white and green parts. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high. Add scallion whites and cook, stirring often, until soft, 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add wild rice and cook according to package instructions.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine vinegar, dried cherries, and 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce to a simmer and cook until vinegar is almost absorbed, 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add rice mixture, scallion greens, and chopped pecans. Stir well to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
SourceEveryday Food, December 2010