Wild Rice with Dried Fruit and Nuts
This wild rice side dish goes well with roasted chicken, turkey, or braised pork shoulder.
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, December 2010
- 4 scallions
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/4 cup wild rice or wild rice blend (any seasoning packet discarded)
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
Thinly slice scallions, separating white and green parts. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high. Add scallion whites and cook, stirring often, until soft, 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add wild rice and cook according to package instructions.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine vinegar, dried cherries, and 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce to a simmer and cook until vinegar is almost absorbed, 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add rice mixture, scallion greens, and chopped pecans. Stir well to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.