Mustard-Glazed Shallots and Carrots
While the Herb-Crusted Standing Rib Roast is resting, cook this side dish in the roasting pan with drippings (and omit the oil from recipe).
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Everyday Food, December 2010
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 3 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 pounds shallots (about 12), root ends trimmed
- 1 pound medium carrots, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with rack in middle. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, mustard, brown sugar, and vinegar. In a roasting pan, toss shallots and carrots with mustard mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange vegetables in a single layer and roast until they are beginning to brown and are tender when pierced with a knife, about 40 minutes, stirring halfway through. Stir in butter and serve warm.