Fennel and Green Beans with Orange and Almonds
Fennel becomes sweet and caramelized in this simple holiday side dish.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Everyday Food, December 2010
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large fennel, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch wedges, 1/4 cup fronds reserved
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Zest of 1/2 orange, thinly sliced, plus 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup sliced blanched almonds, toasted
Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with rack in lower third. In a medium bowl, toss green beans with 1 tablespoon oil. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss fennel wedges with remaining tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper; arrange in a single layer. Roast 15 minutes, then flip fennel and add green beans to sheet. Roast until beans are crisp-tender, 12 to 15 minutes. To serve, transfer to a serving platter, drizzle with orange juice, and top with almonds, orange zest, and fennel fronds.