Fennel and Green Beans with Orange and Almonds
Fennel becomes sweet and caramelized in this simple holiday side dish. To keep the beans bright green and slightly crisp, add them to the baking sheet halfway through the roasting time.
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large fennel, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch wedges, 1/4 cup fronds reserved
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Zest of 1/2 orange, thinly sliced, plus 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup sliced blanched almonds, toasted
Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with rack in lower third. In a medium bowl, toss green beans with 1 tablespoon oil. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss fennel wedges with remaining tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper; arrange in a single layer. Roast 15 minutes, then flip fennel and add green beans to sheet. Roast until beans are crisp-tender, 12 to 15 minutes. To serve, transfer to a serving platter, drizzle with orange juice, and top with almonds, orange zest, and fennel fronds.