Gingered Golden Fruit Chutney
This sweet-tart relish is a great accent to Herb-Crusted Standing Rib Roast. It's also tasty with pork chops.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced medium
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 small dried red chiles or 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes (optional)
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onion, apples, and raisins and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, 4 minutes. Add ginger and coriander and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add brown sugar, vinegar, peppercorns, salt, and chiles (if using); bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until fruit is tender and liquid thickens, 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
SourceEveryday Food, December 2010