Pasta e Fagioli
Our version of pasta and beans is thick, like a stew. To thin it, use a little extra broth.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 celery stalks, diced medium
- 2 carrots, diced medium
- 1 small red onion, diced medium
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 sprig oregano
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Parmesan rind (optional), plus 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan for serving
- 1 cup small pasta, such as ditalini
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
In a medium heavy pot, heat oil over medium. Add celery, carrots, onion, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, 9 minutes. Add oregano, tomatoes, broth, and Parmesan rind (if using). Increase heat to high and simmer rapidly until liquid thickens slightly, 5 minutes. Add pasta and cook, partially covered, until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add beans and cook until warmed through, about 3 minutes. To serve, remove rind and sprinkle with shaved Parmesan.