Under 30 Minutes
Have this simple beef stir-fry on the dinner table in 15 minutes. Serve with rice to complete the meal.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound boneless New York strip steak, thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Thinly sliced scallions greens (optional), for serving
In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sherry, sugar, vinegar, red-pepper flakes, and cornstarch. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. In two batches, cook meat, undisturbed, until browned on one side, about 2 minutes per batch. Transfer to a plate.
Add 1 teaspoon oil and bell peppers to skillet and cook, stirring, until peppers are crisp-tender, 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Whisk soy sauce mixture and add to skillet, along with steak. Cook, stirring, until sauce thickens, 1 minute. Stir in sesame seeds. To serve, spoon beef mixture over rice and top with scallion greens if desired.
SourceEveryday Food, December 2010