Chicken and Rice with Corn and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
To make this on the stovetop, cover the pot after bringing the liquid to a boil and keep the mixture at a steady simmer over medium-low, 25 to 30 minutes. Try another variation of this go-to dinner: Spiced Yellow Rice with Chicken and Vegetables, Chicken with Rice, Broccoli, and Scallions, or Moroccan Chicken and Rice with Chickpeas.
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut into 10 pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced medium
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced medium
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 3 cups frozen corn (from a 16-ounce bag)
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with rack in lower third. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over high. Cook chicken, skin side down, until golden and crisp, 6 minutes. Flip chicken and cook until browned, 6 minutes. Transfer to a large plate.
Reduce heat to medium and add onion, garlic, and bell pepper to pot. Cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon, until onion is translucent, 4 minutes. Stir in lemon zest, oregano, cayenne, and rice and cook 1 minute.
Add corn, tomatoes, and broth and season with salt and pepper. Arrange chicken, skin side up, on top of rice mixture. Bring to a boil, cover pot, and place in oven. Bake until chicken is cooked through and liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.