Sprouted Moong Dal Salad
Try this salad recipe from Martha's niece, Sophie Herbert, for a tasty way to replenish nutrients after yoga or any type of exercise.
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, January 2010
- 3/4 cup moong dal
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 small red onion or cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup pitted, peeled, and chopped ripe mango
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
- 2 jalapeno chiles, halved, stem and seeds removed, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chat masala
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Indian pickles, such as ginger, mango, or lemon
- Chapati, for serving
- Ghee, for serving
Place moong dal in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet; add enough water just to cover. Let stand in a warm place until sprouted, about 18 hours.
Drain sprouted moong dal and rinse well. Pick out any moong dal that have not sprouted and discard. Add sprouted moong dal to a large bowl, along with tomato, onion or cucumber, mango, coconut, and chiles. Season with chat masala, salt, coriander leaves, and lemon juice. Toss until well combined.
Serve salad with Indian pickles, chapati, and ghee.