This recipe for kumquat-lemongrass dressing goes perfectly with grilled chicken, two recipes courtesy of chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten.
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, May Spring 2007
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed, smashed, and chopped
- 10 kaffir lime leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grapeseed, corn, or canola oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/2 pound kumquats, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick, seeds removed
- 1 red finger chile, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
Place lime juice, vinegar, and sugar, in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, add lemongrass and lime leaves; steep until cool. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, discarding solids, and set aside.
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and ginger, and cook, stirring, until almost tender, about 30 seconds. Add kumquat slices and reserved lime juice mixture. Bring mixture come to a simmer and cook for 30 seconds. Season with salt and let cool slightly before using.