Corn Cakes with Christmas Caviar
Prepare this recipe for corn cakes and caviar from chef Emeril Lagasse's "Emeril's Creole Christmas" cookbook for an elegant holiday appetizer. Also try: Hot Crab Dip
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn kernels, from 1 medium ear or frozen sweet corn kernels, thawed
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup masa harina flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Creole Seasoning
- Christmas Caviar Sauce
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add corn, shallots, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring, until corn and shallots are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and cream until well combined. Add cornmeal, flour, masa harina, baking powder, cayenne pepper, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 cup water. Mix until well combined. Fold in corn-and-shallot mixture.
Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, gently drop batter, a tablespoon at a time, into pan, working in batches as necessary. Cook, turning once, until cakes are lightly golden, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Using a spatula, carefully transfer cakes to a paper towel-lines plate to drain. Repeat process with remaining oil and batter.
Sprinkle cakes with Creole seasoning and serve warm with caviar sauce.