Mushroom-and-Celery Salad with Parmesan Cheese
This delicately dressed salad includes shaved Parmesan, celery, baby lettuce, and oyster and chanterelle mushrooms.
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November Holiday 2004
- 12 ounces fresh white or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces fresh chanterelle, porcini, oyster, or yellow oyster mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 celery stalks
- 7 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (2 to 3 lemons)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces mixed baby lettuces, such as mache and mesclun
- 6 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Lay mushrooms on sheets of paper towels; cover with clean, damp kitchen towels. Thinly slice celery, and transfer to a bowl; cover with plastic. Refrigerate.
Stir together lemon juice and shallot. Let stand at least 15 minutes or up to 2 hours. Whisk in oil until emulsified, and season with salt and pepper. Toss mushrooms and celery with dressing; let stand 10 minutes. Divide lettuce among places, and top with mushroom mixture. Shave cheese with a vegetable peeler over tops.