Bulgur Salad with Feta and Pine Nuts
Veg out with this textured toss of chewy grains, tangy cheese, crunchy nuts, shallot, cuke, and citrus. Bulgur, a nutty, chewy Middle Eastern staple -- ready with just a soak -- is found in the grains aisle. Loaded with fiber and protein, it's low in sodium, too.
- 1/4 cup medium-grind bulgur
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (1 ounce)
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded, and finely diced
- 1/2 head Boston lettuce, torn into large pieces
In a medium bowl, mix bulgur with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup boiling water. Cover; let sit until bulgur is tender (but still slightly chewy), about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small dry skillet over very low heat, toast pine nuts, tossing constantly, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and oil. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
Drain bulgur in a fine-mesh sieve, pressing to remove excess liquid; return to bowl. Add feta, shallot, parsley, cucumber, and 1/2 the dressing; season with salt and pepper. In another bowl, toss lettuce with remaining dressing. Top with bulgur mixture and pine nuts.
SourceEveryday Food, July/August 2007