Bulgur Salad with Feta and Pine Nuts
Veg out with this textured toss of chewy grains, tangy cheese, crunchy nuts, shallot, cuke, and citrus. Bulgur is packed with fiber and protein.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 1
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2007
- 1/4 cup medium-grind bulgur
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (1 ounce)
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded, and finely diced
- 1/2 head Boston lettuce, torn into large pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a medium bowl, mix bulgur with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup boiling water. Cover; let sit until bulgur is tender (but still slightly chewy), about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small dry skillet over very low heat, toast pine nuts, tossing constantly, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and oil. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
Drain bulgur in a fine-mesh sieve, pressing to remove excess liquid; return to bowl. Add feta, shallot, parsley, cucumber, and half the dressing; season with salt and pepper. In another bowl, toss lettuce with remaining dressing. Top with bulgur mixture and pine nuts.