Under 30 Minutes
Acorn Squash Soup with Kale
Look for squash with smooth skins and no soft spots or blemishes. They should also feel heavy for their size.
- 4 strips bacon, 4 ounces, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound kale, thick stems removed, leaves finely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 4 cups Acorn Squash Puree, or 2 packages (12 ounces each) frozen winter squash puree, thawed
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate; set aside.
Add onion to fat in pan, and cook until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add kale; cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add squash puree and 3 cups water (or more if necessary to achieve desired consistency); bring just to a boil. Season generously with salt and pepper. Serve, garnished with reserved bacon.