Present someone special with a glittery faux flower this Valentine's Day.
Tools and Materials
- Diamond paper rose template
- Plain cardstock
- Glittered paper
- Scissors or craft knife
- Bone folder
- Cellophane tape
- 16-gauge paper-covered floral wire
- Double-sided tape
- Floral tape
- Rose leaf template
- Green floral crepe paper
- 26-gauge green cloth-covered floral wire
- Glue stick
Diamond Paper Rose How-To
1. Print diamond paper rose template on plain cardstock and cut out along solid black lines. Trace template onto white side of glittered paper and cut out with scissors or a craft knife.
2. With glittered side facing down, score shape with bone folder as indicated by dotted lines on template. Fold paper upward along scores to create the facets of the diamond rose.
3. Bring the edges of each of the inner set of facets (eight small trapezoids) together and secure from the inside with cellophane tape. In the same way, tape the outer facets (triangles with small tabs) together in two sets of four, revealing the three-dimensional shape but not fully closing the diamond paper rose.
4. One inch from the end of an 18-inch piece of the paper-covered floral wire, make a 90-degree bend with a pair of pliers. Wrap a piece of double-sided tape around the wire, 2 inches below the bend.
5. Tape the bent piece of wire to the octagonal surface (top) inside the diamond rose shape. Gather the tabs at the ends of each triangular facet together and secure to floral wire at the strip of double-sided tape. Secure tabs by wrapping in floral tape, then continue wrapping 1 to 2 inches down the length of the wire.
6. Print and cut out rose leaf template and staple to crepe paper, aligning the arrows with the grain of the paper. Cut out each of the leaves with scissors. Affix each leaf to a 6-inch length of green cloth-covered floral wire with a glue stick. Let dry.
7. Twist stems of leaves together to form bunches of two and three, and secure to rose stem with additional floral tape. Continue wrapping stem with floral tape until covered. Bend and shape leaves as desired.
Glittered paper available from Martha Stewart Crafts. Floral crepe paper available from Castle in the Air. All other tools and materials available at most craft stores.
Please check back after the show's airdate for photo and video.