Source: Martha Stewart Living Television
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter
- 3/4 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 2 16-ounce packages breadcrumbs or stuffing mix
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced
- 1 large orange, peeled and diced
- 1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- Zest of 1/2 lemon, about 1 teaspoon
- 1 5-ounce can water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons preserved ginger, chopped
- 3 teaspoons Colman's mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 3 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 4 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 6 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon summer savory
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Saute veal, pork, and beef until brown and thoroughly cooked, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and mix with the breadcrumbs in a large mixing bowl.
In another large bowl, combine apple, orange, pineapple, lemon zest, water chestnuts, and ginger. Add to the meat and breadcrumbs.
Combine mustard, caraway seed, celery seed, oregano, bay leaf, mace, parsley, turmeric, onions, celery, marjoram, summer savory, and poultry seasoning in a small bowl. Add to the large bowl containing the fruit-meat-breadcrumb mixture.
Using your hands, combine all the ingredients until achieving a consistent soft, moist texture. Use immediately to stuff the turkey; the stuffing can be made a day in advance if covered and refrigerated.