Panko-Breaded Fish Sticks
- 2 cups panko (coarse Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 pound sole fillet, cut into 1-by-3-inch pieces
Place panko, flour, and eggs in three separate shallow dishes; season flour with salt and pepper.
Fill a large skillet with enough oil to reach a depth of 1/4-inch; heat over medium-high heat. Working in batches, dredge fish in flour, shaking off any excess; dip into egg. Transfer fish to panko, covering fish completely and pressing lightly to adhere. Arrange fish in the pan in a single layer without crowding; fry until golden and cooked through, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain; season with salt. Serve immediately.