Chicken Colombo with Purple Jasmine Rice
This recipe for chicken colombo with purple jasmine rice is courtesy of Alter Eco.
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, April Spring 2008
- 1 1/4 cups purple rice, preferably Alter Eco, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) peeled chopped tomatoes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound), cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons curry
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- Cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped, for garnish
Place rice in a medium saucepan along with 1 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat; immediately reduce to low heat. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until golden brown. Add tomatoes, chicken, and sprinkle over curry powder; season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring, until mixture has thickened and chicken is cooked through, 15 to 25 minutes. Add coconut milk and stir until well combined; cook 5 minutes more. Sprinkle over cinnamon.
Divide rice evenly among 4 serving plates; top with chicken mixture. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.